0.3 Tanning – What is it and how can it benefit you?
What is 0.3 tanning?
Most industries react negatively when new regulations are introduced; instinctively bitter towards their new restrictions. However in some cases, regulation can actually have a positive impact. In 2009, a new regulation governing the maximum UV outputs of sunbeds was introduced in the UK. The legislation commonly referred to as 0.3, states that a sunbeds UV irradiation must not exceed 0.3W/m2. A sunbed with a UV output above this level is deemed as ‘unsafe’. This is because of the significantly higher risk of sunbed users overexposing themselves and burning. The 0.3 legislation minimises this risk primarily by reducing the maximum UV output, and secondarily by standardising this throughout the industry. If all sunbeds were 0.3 compliant, sunbed users would confidently be able to use any equipment, anywhere in the country with a much lower risk of overexposure.
What you can expect from a 0.3 tanning session?
A 0.3 tanning session delivers the same tanning effect as the mid-day Mediterranean summer sun but without the risk of burning. The main benefits of this are:
- A deeper, longer lasting tan.
- A gentler, kinder tanning process.
- A much lower risk of over exposure and burning.
- 0.3 tanning is more relaxing!
- The customer gets to tan longer. Allowing them to relax, unwind and listen to their favourite songs longer than before!
- You the owner, can sell longer tanning sessions.
- However, because of the depth of the tan that 0.3 lamps produce, it can actually work out more cost effective for the customer.
- And last, but by no means least, you are eliminating your chances of fines for non-compliance with the EU legislation.
How do I become 0.3 compliant?
To become 0.3 compliant, your sunbeds UV irradiation must not exceed 0.3W/m2. It sounds complicated, but it is surprisingly simple! Swap your non-compliant lamps for 0.3 compliant lamps. Our Pyro-Technix range of 0.3 compliant lamps come in 1.8m and 2.0m lengths. If you wish to speak to a sunbed specialist call us on Freephone – 0808 108 7778.
Whether you are a salon, gym, spa or hotel owner, you can help the tanning industry! By complying with the 0.3 legislation, you are promoting safe tanning and harmonising the industry’s relationship with anti-tanning supporters – improving its long term stability. If you are passionate about 0.3 and therefore safe, responsible tanning you may wish to join the Sunbed Association. Read more about The Sunbed Association and why you should consider joining. Or visit The Sunbed Association’s own website here.